I had some ripe bananas sitting in the fruit bowl looking a bit sad so thought I’d bake a banana loaf. Whenever I make this the girls are hovering in the kitchen for a slice and before I know its all gone!!
I usually just add banana but today I added some chopped up medjoul dates and walnuts.
Here’s what you need;
140g golden caster sugar
140g stork (margarine/butter)
140g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 large eggs at room temperature
2 ripe bananas
2 heaped tbsp honey/golden syrup/maple syrup
6 chopped medjoul dates
50g chopped walnuts
2 tbsp icing sugar .
What you need to do;
1. Pre-heat your oven to gas mark 2/150° and grease your loaf tin/dish.
2. Add the sugar, margarine, flour, baking powder & eggs to a large mixing bowl and beat until well combined and creamy.
2. Next add the mashed banana, chopped dates, honey & chopped walnuts to the batter and mix until all combined.
3. Spoon the batter into your grease and lined dish and bake in the oven for 1hr – 1hr 15 mins.
4. Once baked remove from the oven and leave it to cook for 5 mins before turning out to cook on a wire rack.
5. Mix the icing sugar with a few drops of water and mix until you get a thick consistency of icing. Drizzle over the cake. .
Serve warm with scoops of vanilla ice cream or on its own.
– The walnuts and dates are optional
– I used a Pyrex 2lb loaf dish to bake my cake in. You can use a metal loaf tin.