I love tinned beans as it means you can cook a quick meal if you’re in a rush or forgot to soak beans the night before. Black eyed beans are small and have a creamy texture with a black mark in the middle making it look like a black eye.
This is another simple and quick dish to cook but really tasty. It is a good idea to have tinned beans stored in your cupboard for quick simple meals like this.
What you need:
2 tins black eyed beans
1 large onion thinly sliced
6 cloves garlic
1 inch of ginger
1/2 tbsp Kashmiri chilli powder
1/2 tbsp cumin powder
1/2 tbsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp salt
1 tsp turmeric powder
chopped coriander for garnishing
2-3 green chillies chopped
1 tsp garam masala
oil for cooking
1. Firstly, drain and wash the black eyed beans and set aside.
2. Heat ¼ cup of oil to a deep wide pot and add 1 large thinly sliced onion. Saute for a few mins until a light golden brown, soft & translucent.
3. Whilst that is cooking, measure out your spices.
4. Add the crushed garlic and ginger and fry for a few mins.
5. Add 3 tomatoes that have been halved and the core removed. Fry for a few mins.
6. Add 100ml of boiling water, cover and cook for 2-3 mins until the tomatoes start to soften.
7. Remove the lid and then remove the skin off the tomatoes. This should come off easily.
8. Cook for 5-6 mins until the tomatoes have mashed and softened.
9. Now add the spices except the garam masala.
10. Fry on a medium to high flame for 12-15 mins until the ingredients have turned into a dark thick gravy. Add splashes of water to help loosen the mixture and to stop it from burning.
11. Next add the black eyed beans, mix and cook on a medium/high flame for 12-15 mins and do lots of bhuning (frying) again.
12. During cooking add splashes of hot water and stir regularly to stop it from burning and to help loosen the mixture.
13. Add the green chillies and 1/2 cup of boiling water. Cover and simmer on a low heat until the beans are cooked. The water should dry up at the end leaving a thick gravy.
14. Garnish with chopped coriander and garam masala.
Enjoy with hot roti and a onion and tomato salad.