Chicken and Palak, the perfect combination. I have been eating chicken palak from when I was a young child and it’s one of my favourite things to eat.
It is a classic Pakistani dish cooked with chicken and spinach and with spices. It can be served as a main course or a side dish with rice or chapatis.
Here’s what you need:
300g chopped spinach
1 large onion thinly sliced
2 tomatoes chopped
6 cloves garlic crushed
½ inch ginger crushed
2 green chillies (optional)
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp cumin powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp salt
Oil for cooking
What you need to do;
1. Heat the oil in a pot and add the thinly sliced onions to it. Cook the onions for a few minutes until soft and light golden brown in colour.
2. Add crushed garlic and ginger and cook for 1-2 mins.
3. Add the chopped tomatoes and fry for a few minutes.
4. Add a splash of hot water, cover and cook for a few minutes until the mixture is soft and mushy.
5. Whilst that is cooking get the spices ready.
6. Remove the lid and fry for a few mins until the water has dried.
7. Now add all the spices and cook for a further 2 mins.
8. Add the chicken to the mixture and cook for 10 mins until chicken is half cooked.
9. Add the spinach and green chillies to the pot and cover and cook for 1 minute. Take the lid off and the spinach will have wilted.
10. Cook for 15-20 mins on a medium heat until the spinach has darkened in colour, the chicken is cooked and the oil has separated.
Serve with hot chapattis or naan bread.
(Cooking times may vary depending on size of chicken used)