My youngest wanted to bake a chocolate cake and so that’s what we did yesterday.
She baked 2 chocolate sponges and filled them with fresh chocolate cream, topped it with chocolate ganache and then decorated with more fresh chocolate cream.
What you need for the cake;
225g self raising flour
225g golden caster sugar
4 large eggs
2tsp baking powder
3 tbsp cocoa powder
For the cream;
600ml double cream
6 tbsp icing/powder sugar
2 tbsp cocoa powder
150g chocolate chips
300ml double cream
- Grease two 22cm sandwich cake tins and line the bottom with greaseproof paper and pre-heat oven to gas mark 3/160˚C.
- In a large bowl cream the sugar and margarine together and pale.
- Add the eggs and mix until combined.
- Next sift the flour and cocoa powder into the bowl and mix together until well combined.
- Now add in the milk and mix again until combined.
- Spoon one half of the cake batter into one cake tin and the other half into the other tin. Bake for 30 mins.
- Remove the cake from the oven. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 mins and then remove from the tins and cool on a wire rack.
- While the cake is cooling make the cream by adding the cream to a large bowl. Sift in the icing sugar and cocoa powder and whip until soft peaks form and the cream starts to hold shape. Spoon half the cream into a piping bag with a nozzle and set the other half aside for the filling.
- For the ganache; add the chocolate chips to a bowl. In a separate saucepan bring the cream to the boil. Pour the cream over the chocolate chips and leave it heat through the chocolate for 5 mins. Mix until the chocolate is fully melted and combined with the cream.
- Once the cake is cooled place one sponge onto your serving dish and top it with the fresh chocolate cream. Place the other sponge on top and cover the top and sides with a layer of fresh chocolate cream. Place into the fridge for 30 mins to let the cream set. Then once the ganache has cooled slightly pour it over the top of the cake and let it drip down the sides. You have to work quickly with the ganache so it doesn’t melt the fresh cream. Leave the ganache to set for 10-15 mins and then decorate the top with the cream in the piping bag and fruit.
Slice & enjoy!