This dish is a very popular Pakistani dessert cooked with carrots and milk. Normally when cooked with milk this pudding takes forever to cook and sometimes I haven’t got the time and so this is my speedy gajar ka halwa dessert recipe using dried milk.
What you need;
2kg carrots, peeled, washed and grated
10 green cardamom pods
1 tin of condensed milk
2 cups of dried full fat milk powder
1/4 cup of golden caster sugar
500g unsalted butter
Almond flakes for garnishing
1. Using a large wide pot melt your butter on a low heat making sure you don’t burn it.
2. Spilt the cardamom pods and add them to the butter.
3. After a the butter is melted add the grated carrots and cook on a high flame for 30 mins with the lid on. Keep removing the lid and stirring.
You will notice the carrots will release its own water which will help the carrots to cook and soften.
4. After cooking the carrots for 30 mins you will see the carrots have darkened in colour and will release a really beautiful smell. Also the butter will start to separate from the carrots and the water should have dried up.
5. Add the condensed milk to the carrots and the sugar and carry on cooking for a further 15-20 mins on a high flame continuously stirring. After approx 20
Mins you will notice the colour will change again back to the Orange.
6. Add the dried milk powder to the carrot and mix really really well. Keep cooking on a medium to high flame and keep stirring for another 20 minutes making sure all the dried milk powder has mixed in well and cooked in with the carrots.
7. Now the halwa is ready for garnishing. Sprinkle Over the flaked almonds.
You can serve this hot or cold and is also really yummy with a scoop of vanilla ice cream too.
(All cup measurements are with measuring cups)