These are really yummy and a great as a side dish or as a snack and the kids love them.
What you need;
4 white fish portions cut into small chunks
1 cup gram flour (besan)
2 heaped tsp red chilli flakes
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp mango powder (amchoor)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ginger powder
1 tsp carom seeds (ajwain)
1 tsp freshly grounded black pepper
1 tsp cumin seeds (zeera)
1 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
Oil for frying
1. In a bowl add all the above ingredients, except the oil & fish, and add a small amount of water to make a thick batter.
2. Add the fish pieces to the batter and marinate for 1-2 hours.
3. In a large wok heat some oil. Test the oil is ready by dropping a little batter mix into it and it should fry nicely if the oil is hot enough.
4. Place the fish pieces one by one into the hot oil and fry for 4-5 mins turning occasionally.
5. Remove from oil once cooked and golden brown and drain on some tissue paper.
Serve hot with a sweet chilli dip.
– use more or less red chilli flakes if you want more or less heat
– I used Youngs white frozen fish portion. Make sure to squeeze the water out of the fish after defrosting.