After eating at Nando’s a few times I was inspired to create my own Peri Peri chicken. I threw some ingredients together and it somehow seemed to work and taste even better!
‘Peri peri’ is used within several African languages and it means ‘pepper, pepper’ and also refers to the sauces made using pepper. Peri Peri chicken originated from Africa and the flavours are now enjoyed all over the world.
In my recipe I cook the chicken on a hot cast iron grill to help crisp up the skin and give the chicken a smokey flavour and then transfer it to a pre-heated oven to cook it.
Heres what you need;
3 chicken legs with cuts
1 big red chilli (these are the fat ones)
3 cloves of garlic
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp Encona very hot pepper sauce
1/4 cup olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
2 tsp white wine vinegar
Nando’s medium peri peri sauce to brush the chicken once cooked
1. Add all the ingredients to a blended except the chicken and blend to make a sauce
2. Mix the chicken in the marinade and leave overnight.
3. Heat up a griddle pan until it’s really hot.
4. Place the chicken skin side down on the hot griddle pan and cook for 3-4 mins on a medium heat until skin is crispy and brown
5. Turn over and cook the other side like this too
6. Brush over some of the marinade on the chicken
7. Place the griddle pan in the oven with the chicken in and cook for 40-45 mins on gas mark 7
8. Remove from the oven and brush over some Nando’s peri peri sauce
Serve with fries, curly fries, rice and salad.
Juicy, moist and absolutely delicious!!
– You can reduce the hot pepper sauce if you don’t want it too hot or increase it if you’d like it hotter. But the balance in my recipe is just right.
– Cooking chicken with skin on keeps the chicken moist.
– Cooking the chicken in the griddle pan first helps crisp the skin and keep the juices locked in.
– If you don’t have a griddle pan, you can use a frying pan and then transfer it to an ovenproof dish when cooking it in the oven.