I just lurrrrve daal! So quick and easy to make and so tasty. There are so many varieties of daal and so many different ways of cooking it. Daal is a wholesome and delicious meal full of goodness. High in fibre and protein and loved by everyone.
This is one my quick go to dishes to cook when I don’t have much time. I served it with boiled rice, salad & achaar (pickle). You can serve it with chapattis and parathas as well.
There are two parts to cooking this daal. The boiling part and the tarka part.
What you need:
1 cup Brown lentils washed and rinsed
1 bulb of garlic crushed
2 litres of water
1 tsp salt
1 tbs coriander powder
1 tbs cumin powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbs red chilli powder
1 tsp red chilli flakes
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbs garam masala
4-5 tbs oil
1 chicken cube
2-3 green chillies
200g unsalted butter
Small bunch Chopped coriander
1. In a pressure cooker add the lentils, water, turmeric, chilli powder, salt, cumin powder, coriander powder & chicken cube. Pressure for 10-15 mins from when the whistle starts blowing on the cooker.
2. Remove the lid after releasing the pressure and continue cooking on a medium heat. Using your wooden spoon mash some of the lentils by pressing them against the pot. This will help thicken your curry.
3. Keep this simmering on a low heat.
1. In a seperate frying pan add the oil and butter and heat.
2. Add the crushed garlic, chilli flakes, green chillies and cumin seeds and fry for 1-2 mins on a high flame.
3. Add this to the lentils that you have boiled separately in the other pot.
4. Taste your seasoning add more salt if required.
5. Add chopped coriander and the garam masala & simmer on a low heat for 5 mins.
– You can cut down the green chillis if you want less heat.
– If you don’t have a pressure cooker then you can use a Deep cooking pot. Follow the same process as step one and cook until the water has reduced and the lentils have thickened and softened. This should take approx 25-30 mins.
– When you add the tarka to the lentils if you would like a runnier consistency, add 1/2 glass of water.
– You can add single cream to give a creamy texture to your daal.